Monday, June 30, 2008

Bang for your buck...

I don't know how many people out there enjoy flying for more than transportation's sake. For example, when I fly somewhere, I always make sure to check out what landmarks I am going to be flying over. (That's how I "went" to the Grand Canyon!!)

The thirty minute flight from Mendoza, Argentina to Santiago, Chile has by far the greatest ratio of satisfaction to money spent. The flight takes about thirty minutes, half of which consists of gaining altitude quickly to cross the Andes, and then losing it quickly to land on the other side.

The rest of the trip looks like this. Depending on the flight path, visibility, and where you are seated, you might see Aconcagua and/or Tupungato. You can see Aconcagua on the left in the picture below - it is 22,841 feet tall. Although some renegade Chilean pilots may announce that the peak is on the Argentine/Chile border, they are full of shit and probably in denial.Last I checked, there are two dailies between the cities operated by LAN. They're running A320's and even on this thirty minute flight they offer you a drink and snack. Here's to South American hospitality!

No comments: